Friday 12 December 2008

Telerik Releases "Open Access", a Database Agnostic ORM Product that Works with LINQ

My favourite 3rd party WebUI control provider Telrik just released its new ORM product called "Open Access" - http://www.telerik.com/products/orm.aspx. I didn't realise they were developing such a thing - but it turns out they just acquired German company Vanatec that specializes in ORM products. They have performed a few updates to the original Vanatec software since they acquired it (such as removing a dependency on J#) - so they have grabbed this product and are running with it full steam. If the quality of their controls is anything to go by, this could be a valuable asset in any .NET developer's toolbelt.

I'm going to try it out and evaluate it against some of the custom LINQ, LINQ to SQL and Nhibernate-based efforts that I've created and worked with on previous projects. It also supports non-SQL Server databases such as Oracle. Now there is also a fledgling Codeplex project called LINQ to Oracle http://www.codeplex.com/LinqToOracle) but this ORM product could shoot it out of the water. Telerik Open Access also supports direct SQL. I'll do a a review before the end of the year.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Be great to find out how it compares with nhibernate. Nhiberate is free and used in a *LOT* of big real world .net applications.

David Klein said...

Yes - I've used Nhibernate myself in conjunction with CodeSmith templates for a large app so I will also keep it in mind when comparing. I really do like to have the benefits of LINQ though - NHiberLINQ is not quite there yet :) e.g. http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=958233

Anonymous said...

" It also supports non-SQL Server databases such as Oracle" ... sorry my friend but you probably mean NO MS SQL SERVER, because to my knownldge Oracle IS SQL complaint, in some aspects more than MS SQL.

David Klein said...

You are correct that I didn't specify the full name of the product in the post. But just Google "SQL Server". It is synonymous with Microsoft SQL Server. Please excuse my MS-centric shorthand :o)

Anonymous said...

Hello!!! ddkonline.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. Keep it that way.

Unknown said...

Hi David,

Did you ever get the time to blog about your experiences with OpenAccess?

Regards
Paul